Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Mountain

Society is like a mountain. People will always try and struggle to reach the top, where life is good and you can see and experience so many things; where you can view everything, rather than at the bottom, where you can only see so little and have nothing. In the middle, people will struggle and climb to the top, but naturally there will not be enough room there, so once it gets crowded, the climbers fight each other and push one another down, competing for the desired spot.
The questions, now, is what the conditions are for going 'up', and what exactly the 'top' and 'bottom' are. In this contemporary age, it seems that the conditions in order to climb the ladder, or 'mountain', of society is rooted in monetary and financial aspects. The richer you are, the more power you have, and the more power you have, the more things you can experience, such as vacations, which is an obvious example, but also businesses, having to deal with more people, and the more things you can purchase or own. Political power can also be a condition, but I think you are more weighed down and burdened by political power rather than monetary value, since there are more problems to be dealt with, many more enemies, in my opinion, and more criticism all around. Spiritual values is also debatable as a condition, some people belonging to Hinduism, for example, might compare the 'mountain' to the caste system, in which Brahmans are at the top and the untouchables, or animals (Sorry, I am not an expert in the field of Hinduism.), are at the bottom, and you must do good deeds in order to move up the caste system once you die and become reincarnated. Though the caste system is a bit more inflexible than my own thoughts about the 'mountain', and I think it really only pertains to Hindus in India (The caste system is gone now, I think, like I said, I'm not an expert at this stuff.). The conditions are still a bit vague, and can be argued.
The 'top' of the mountain is the most desired place, for most. But what exactly is it? If the condition for climbing the 'mountain' is monetary, then the 'top' should be the richest person in the world. If the condition for climbing is political, then the 'top' should be Dictator of the World, president of the United States of America (or leader of any of the big countries), or maybe a monarch in the old times. If the condition for climbing is spiritual, then the 'top' should be either "God(s)" or perhaps "enlightenment" (The quotation marks depict broad, general terms in a universal sense). Some examples of people who have attempted to get to the 'top', or might have reached it, are Hitler, Napoleon, Warren Buffett, Carlos Slim Helu, etc. The 'top' may be way out of the reach of humans or it might be something that is attained by few people through luck, talent, and hard work.
~C.

1 comment:

  1. Great observation and analogy. I wrote a poem about this before, I think....

    ReplyDelete